New Recipe #1!
Last night I put together a healthy meal of salad, tuna melts, baked sweet potato fries & baked apples for dessert. I’m a fan so here it is if you’re interested (from left to right)
Tuna Melts (Makes about 4)
- Mix the tuna dressing- 2 tablespoons mustard (I used horseradish and dijon), the juice of 1 lemon, a pinch of minced garlic and 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar.
- Combine 3 cans of strained light tuna with the dressing and mash together
- Chop ½ an avocado, 15 cherry tomatoes, a small amount of red onion & 2 celery sticks
- Combine chopped veggies with the tuna salad, add 2 spoonfuls of capers, and a dash of salt and pepper.
- I used Whole Wheat Everything Bagel Thins from Trader Joe’s (110 calories each) as the base. Top half the bagel with a handful of spinach, a large helping of the tuna mixture & top with a sprinkling of light cheese (I used some weird vegan version from TJ’s, not bad but a strange texture). Put in the toaster oven until cheese melts.
Sweet Potato Fries
- Thinly slice 4 small sweet potatoes
- Coat with a thin layer of extra virgin olive oil & sprinkle salt & pepper on top
- Spray a baking sheet with PAM and evenly spread the sweet potatoes out
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes or until crisp (but not burned)
- Slice 2 medium apples
- Sprinkle Splenda & Splenda Brown Sugar on top
- Add in a squirt of lemon juice and mix the apples together.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup of oats on top of the apple mixture
- Pour 1/3 cup of unsweetened Almond Milk over the apples & oats and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until apples soften. Serve hot.
Add a side salad to the meal and you’re good to go! The above portions were plenty for 2 people to eat dinner & have leftovers for lunch.