I came across this delicious looking recipe a couple of months ago on The Yummy Life and now that I’ve tried it out for myself, I can attest that it is just as good as it sounds. I tossed up a big batch of this last night to have for breakfast throughout the week. I also changed around the ingredients a bit to make it slightly lower in calories. Here’s my altered recipe for Pumpkin Pie Refrigerator Oatmeal:
- 1 and ¼ cup uncooked old fashioned rolled oats
- 2.5 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 and ½ cup fat free Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon dried chia seeds (available at Trader Joe’s & health food stores)
- A heavy powdering of cinnamon
- 1 can pumpkin puree (unsweetened canned pumpkin)
- 4-5 packets of Splenda or any other zero calorie sweetener
In a large Tupperware bowl, add oats, milk, yogurt, chia seeds and cinnamon. Mix ingredients together until well combined. Then add in the jar of pumpkin, stirring again. Leave in the fridge over night. Enjoy chilled. This should yield a large quantity, good enough for a few breakfasts throughout the week.
This healthy breakfast tastes like a dessert but is really giving you a good amount of nutrients first thing in the morning. Plus, 1 cup of this goodness is quite filling and should keep you satisfied until lunch. I did a rough calculation and believe that my recipe has about 136 calories per cup.
*Photo Credit: TheYummyLife.com